Motorcycle: Honda XR 250 Baja at 15 USD per day from Negombo Motorcycle Tours. Deposit of 100 USD is required.
Distance Covered: ~1500KM
Reference: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka and free local maps
Spendings: 650 USD excluding air tickets and insurance (250 USD for bike rental and petrol, 100 USD for ticketings, 200 USD for lodgings and USD100 for food). 1 USD is worth about 115 Rupees.
Quick Review: Cultural sites, hill country and beautiful beaches
Negombo > Anuradhapura > Trincomalee (Nilaveli) > Sigiriya (Polonnaruwa, Ritigala, Dambulla) > Kandy > Delhouse (Adam’s Peak or Sri Pada) > Nuwara Eliya (Horton’s Plains) > Haputale > Galle (Unawatuna) > Colombo > Negombo
Clockwise loop around Sri Lanka, a teardrop-shaped island off the tip of India
If you would like a copy of my actual GPS route and some waypoints (as shown above) in Garmin GDB format (to open using Mapsource), just post a comment and I will send the download link (2mb file) to your email address.
Unlike some of my previous long-winded trip reports, this will be a very brief report with mostly photos.
The Sri Lanka trip report is divided into the following sections:
- Introduction (You are here)
- Journey Day 1-2 (Negombo to Anuradhapura)
- Journey Day 3 (Anuradhapura to Trincomalee)
- Journey Day 4 ( Trincomalee to Nilaveli to Sigiriya)
- Journey Day 5-6 (Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa, Ritigala, Dambulla, Kandy)
- Journey Day 7 (Kandy to Dalhousie – Adam’s Peak)
- Journey Day 8 (Adam’s Peak to Nuwara Eliya)
- Journey Day 9 (Nuwara Eliya to Horton Plains to Haptale)
- Journey Day 10 (Haputale to Galle)
- Journey Day 11-13 (Galle to Unawatuna to Colombo)
Disclaimer: This trip was taken in December 2009. The information is provided ‘as is’ with no warranties and confers no rights. If you are interested to know more, please add a comment and I will update the post with more details.